Welcome at The Online Meeting Cooperative forum!

Hi! I’m Shon Feder. I’ve been gradually working my way into the solidarity economy and cooperativism for several years (after reading the “Community, Democracy,and Mutual Aid” paper from the Next System essay competition in 2016). I attended the Fearless Cities summit in NYC in 2018, and try to keep with work and strategy coming out of BSA, Symbiosis, and Cooperation Jackson.

I now work with Informal Systems as a Software Engineering. We are a cooperatively owned, distributed team of technologists and engineers, and would be thrilled to move our conferencing into a cooperative, solidarity based space.

4 Likes

Hi all! My name is Casey and I’m based in Brooklyn, NY.

I work in operations at a research institute. I have a background in art, as well as web design and development.

I am a member of several cooperatives including PSFC and social.coop.

I am currently taking a class via New School and Mondragon on Platform Cooperatives (with @Yasuaki among others :slight_smile:)

I’d love to help out and become a member here!

2 Likes

Hi @Shon! Welcome here at Meet.coop - The Online Meeting Cooperative. It’d be great if you’d join as members. Since a few days we have now our membership channels opened through the OpenCollective platform: if you make your desired contribution here, we’ll make sure you get up and running asap: https://opencollective.com/meet-coop

Any queries, don’t worry to post here in the forum.
thanks again,
Wouter

2 Likes

Hi @caseyg!
Welcome here at Meet.coop - The Online Meeting Cooperative.

Apart from @Yasuaki you may also have met my colleague Monica Garriga there, from femProcomuns.coop Very interesting programme isn’t it?

It’d be great if you’d join as members. Now that we have our membership channels opened through the OpenCollective platform: you can make your desired contribution here: Meet.coop - Open Collective

Any queries, don’t worry to post here in the forum.
thanks again,
Wouter

3 Likes

More the merrier! Hi @caseyg and @shon,
there is absolutely no shortage of things we can do together!

Let me know if you would like to setup BigBlueButton on your own computer, I recently created a “VirtualBox” image :smile:

I am currently playing with this “FreeSwitch” software, that BigBlueButton relies on :smile:

I have no experience at all in Telephony (wait, I do have some experience with PBX admin from 20 years ago :sweat_smile: ), Video conference, and most other things I can think of but I hope we can learn together and you can teach me!

2 Likes

Oh! I didn’t meet Monica yet but I will definitely reach out.

Just joined as a member on OpenCollective :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent, welcome @caseyg as a new meet.coop member!
BTW @mogams is also here if you’d like to reach out to her. She’s actively involved in femProcomuns.coop, and its cooperative projectsTeixidora.net, CommonsCloud.coop &o.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Leo Daumas. I am a web developer student and a cooperative enthusiast. I’ve never been part of a cooperative but it is clear to me that this movement will change the world for the better, and I want to help it.

I still have a lot to learn, I’ll have a good read on the forum and i’m avaiable.

Also, I’m from Brazil and currently living on Paris.

5 Likes

Hello everyone.
I am a linux sys admin, self thought and with many years of experience but my original profession is as an electronics engineer.
I have orbiting around workers rights for many years and i have known about workers co-ops for some years but only now i found about tech co-ops which gives me a new hope of being able to work with like minded people on the tech field i like so much.
Congratulations to this community creators.
Ill be around and always available for any help in any way of my capacities.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi Wouter,
So nice to reconnect with you here. I hope we can build on our lovely discussions last year in Barcelona (and previously in London.)
I’m hoping to combine BBB (synchronous communication with great facilities for coming to agreement) with Discourse (asynchronous communication with some great features). I think l they can work well together. Will be saying much more when I find a suitable place in this Forum.

I’ll introduce myself to everyone below.

Regards,

Gary

1 Like

H folks,
I’m Gary, from Norfolk, England, but grew up in Brooklyn, New York. I see various old friends here. I was one of the co-founders of the Open Coop (with OliSB and Josef Davies Coates), met Wouter various times.
I was on the Board of the Transition Network for 4 years. I worked for the UK’s Open University for 37 years, creating courses in elecronics, environment among other things. I was one of the people that put the OU online, so helped invent online learning.

My EarthConnected website has more about me, various papers and talks, and a free ebook version of my book, eGaia, Growing a peaceful, sustainable Earth through communications]. My current project is Planetmakers, (still a work in progress, but great graphics!) and we are hoping to use BBB and Discourse as proof-of-concept software.

I’m looking forward to meeting more of you and working with you. Meet.coop looks like a great community!
Gary

1 Like

Welcome, Gary, so good to have you here and receive your support as member! Check the forum for some discussion channels and topics and feel free to contribute and/or open a new thread as you see fit.
best,
Wouter

1 Like

Wouter, Would love to have a BBB chat with you sometime soon for a little catch up. And some pointers to where there is interesting activity on this forum, and who here might help me get more deeply into both BBB and Discourse.
Did you see my Yule party proposal? Would you be into that, or might people in Barcelona be part of it? If we are to build a society that is lower on material consumption and high on social support and interaction, we need to figure out how to have great parties within the constraints of COVID!

1 Like

Hi @garyalex your Yule party proposal sounds fun! I’ll reply there.

Hello fellow co-operators!

I’m Nick Meyne, Secretary of Resonate the music streaming co-operative. I’m excited to be a member of meet.coop and hugely impressed with what you are achieving here. We can learn a lot from you!

Looking forward to collaborating with you all, in global solidarity, and potentially working on a ‘co-operative commons’ for many of our mutual services and potential future exchanges and interactions.

Great to be here!

Nick

Oh… and here is a shameless plug for membership of Resonate… have a look, learn about us and then sign up if you like what you see. You know it makes sense!

so nice to see you here, I think Resonate is a great project (I signed up as member time ago). And yes to creating and strengthening together the cooperative commons!

1 Like

Hey Wouter! Thanks! I had a long chat with OliSB yesterday about possible collaboration on mutual membership ‘identity’… we have a project called ‘Community Credentials
… by the way, I’m very interested in how you organise volunteers and record and reward contributions… I was very impressed by your post here - Compensation framework What do you use at time.meet.coop? is it clockify or something similar? How are you getting on with it?

Ah… I see it’s https://www.kimai.org/ Any tips for us?

yeah, it’s Kimai. It’s pretty good. Chris from Webarchitects set it up. You might want to ping him directly with more concrete questions for the technical setup. In any case, it is being quite a practical tool for the team to log time I think. And it is well documented…

1 Like

Great! Many thanks! We’ll try it out this weekend… looks good and easy to set up… there’s a docker image.

Were you able to ‘customise it’ for co-op use?.. did it fit in with your compensation framework processes nicely?