Can users phone in to a meeting

Sometime our meeting participants are not at their computer and like to be able to call into the meeting from a phone. It looks like it is possible to set this up in BigBlueBotton. Can it be done in the meet.coop implementation?

1 Like

Operational members can confirm, but I don’t think that’s currently possible on meet.coop

I’d guess it’s likely in the roadmap though?

Picking this up. I am promoting Meet.Coop and this is a necessary feature – it seems to be available in Big Blue Button, is there a reason why it is not enabled?

2 Likes

The lack of this feature is the only reason we have not joined meet.coop yet.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I don’t think this is something you can simply turn on within BBB. It would need a load of (costly) telephony infrastructure to be in place first, which I don’t think meet.coop has yet.

I think perhaps @benhylau may have looked into this a little though?

Thanks for this feedback. This is not part of BBB. It requires setting up of VOIP infrastructure and dedicated phone lines. We have discussed this many times, and we know it is a priority feature to add.

If Meet.coop primarily serves one country it is easier, because we can buy a single VOIP number in that country. Because Meet.coop has members all over the world, we essentially need to have many lines, and have the funds to pay for all of them on an unlimited use tier as pay-per-minute would lead us to an unpredictable bill. If we expect simultaneous called (likely) we’d need to hold multiple channels on each line, which adds to the cost.

@dvdjaco probably has most current info on this.

2 Likes

What if a member is willing to provide a number that they pay for in their region?

2 Likes

If a user - or group of users - were willing to fund this, could Meet.Coop provide the tech support to make it happen?

2 Likes