Demo.meet.coop seems to be down

Hey @jimscarver any news on this? Is there someone else I can ping? Thanks again!

Philip Sheldrake holds the keys to the coop credit card but has been unavailable. He should be back in action this coming week. Can you fix it @Graham ?

We provisioned another server for demo. Apologies for the delay and any data loss that may have occurred. A job change and relocation in the pandemic resulted in the long delay. We configured a slightly smaller server because of the low usage. Let me know if it is adequate.

Processor Core™ i3-2100 @ 3.10GHz
Ram 8 GiB
Bandwidth 1Gbit Port: 200TB Transfer
Disk 500 GB
Operating System Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic)

IPv4 Assignment #1: 173.208.225.202/29

no worries, and thanks again for providing the server for the meet.coop demo!

IPv6 address to the demo server vlan.

2604:4300:a:34::2/64
Gateway: 2604:4300:a:34::1/64

1 Like

Just FYI, it’s still down and doesn’t resolve.

Someone just posted to Reddit a news story promoting this as an cooperative Zoom alternative (https://www.thenews.coop/154366/topic/technology/democracy-youre-on-mute-a-co-op-alternative-to-zoom/). It’s likely to generate some interest, so it’s a terrible time to have the demo server down.

Working on it! Thank you all for your patience.

Would it be possible to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04? BBB 2.2 doesn’t install as easily on 18.04.

Thanks!

Done. Ubuntu 16.04 loaded

Awesome, thanks! I’ll deploy it right away :slight_smile:

1 Like

The demo.meet.coop service is finally back online! Thank you all for your patience and specially @jimscarver for your help bringing it back. And thanks to https://diglife.com/ for contributing this server to meet.coop!

@osb can you add back the link in the website?

1 Like

Great job getting it back up and running :slight_smile: I have added the link back into the footer…

However, we should not really be using this server if it is not powered by renewables - and so far we seem to have been unable to find out how it is powered… the website says (In the FAQ on renewable energy) " DigLife - for the demo server - currently unknown and under review"…

@dvdjaco Do you think any of the contacts you have worked with to bring this back online… like @jimscarver can help us identify how this server is powered?

Thanks
Oli

the server is powered 45% by renewables.
https://www.bpu.com/Resources/RenewableEnergy.aspx#

1 Like

Thanks @jimscarver
So @All Ops Members - how do we feel about this?
Should we be looking to transition our demo to a server which is 100% powered by renewables?

Ideally we would, so I guess the question becomes: how possible / time intensive would it be to move the demo to one of our other servers which is 100% powered by renewables?

The demo is down again - I’m not sure what is causing this… but it is a really bad look for Meet.coop to have a demo which does not load… even for some of the time… :frowning: Can we look into moving the demo to a more reliable (i.e. one of our existing) servers?
If there is any user data (from people that registered in order to test the demo) PLEASE save this if at all possible… before killing the old demo - it is very valuable marketing data
I will remove the demo link from the website again for now until this is fixed
Ta
Olli

sorry I couldn’t look into this before, greenlight had crashed and is now working again. I’ll try to figure out what broke it, it does indeed look bad.

We also have a pending task to set up basic alerting for this one, let’s see if we can get to it soon.

The demo is still down - I have remove the words " Try out the free demo to test all of the features of BigBlueButton - you will need to register but can use the demo for free at any time." from our home page because it’s really bad to point people to a broken demo… we’re never going to win customers like that! @dvdjaco can you check what you checked last time to see if it’s easy to reboot? If not, and since it runs on only 45% renewables I still stand by what I said above… I think we need to move the demo to a 100% renewables server… which doesn’t fall over so often - can anyone give an estimation for how lobg that might take? Maybe it could be a good task for a provisional bounty :wink:

1 Like

It is not “still down” but “down again” :wink:

Looking into it, we’ll include in our tech roadmap an action to move the demo to a better performing and more sustainable server.

great - thanks for looking into this - yeah, I didn’t mean “Still down” since the above… I meant “still down” since All Hands… I’m really keen to see if we can get it back up - it’s such a useful marketing tool because it captures emails…

I’ve brought it back up, I’ll let you all know when we have a roadmap draft we can share. Cheers!

1 Like