Federated wiki - A coop farm-platform?

I opened a wiki Vernacular wiki(ing) around this theme:

Here we explore how [fed] wiki might be made very widely used for thinking, sharing and organising, among communities of folks who are not geeks. Well, not code geeks!

Anyone interested in federated wiki, as a parallel kind of toolbase for organisers in general? Do drop thoughts in this thread . . :smiley:

1 Like

This has gone a bit further. There is now an incipient coop that intends to host wiki farms. Called wiki.cafe. Not yet open for business, but running in pilot mode. Want to know more?

Here’s a couple of my basic sites. wiki literacy (resource dump) and what goes on (personal website)

@3wc @robert.best @tshiunghan @wouter @bhaugen

1 Like

I enlarged my search neighborhood until it created a new line. Is there a way to narrow it?

If you reload a window, any sites that are not currently referenced in the lineup will not be reloaded in the neighborhood. So if you’ve done a lot of wandering around in a session, this can prune the lineup.

1 Like

Are timestamps available for a certain class of contributor? I don’t seem to be able to see any.

When editing is switched on (click the ‘wiki’ flag in the footer) the page displays a journal showing all forks and edits, with attributed sources (sites, not authors; each site has only one author).

1 Like

Thanks for answering my questions. I’m always looking for new ways to read, write and share info, especially tools that make these tasks more accessible, and this tool fits my use case. I really like how easy it is to edit paragraphs.

What would you say are some of the other benefits to this version of wiki?

I’ll post in this thread occasionally but right now I’m not in a position to systematically appraise and propose (federated) wiki. That’s part of the ongoing work for wiki,cafe, which needs also to be able to induct folks into the world of wiki(ing) and more literate use, as well as to simply host sites. Work in progress. The sites above are workspaces for this: Vernacular wiki(ing), wiki-literacy. Here’s a workspace where faqs for wiki.cafe are being developed: cafefaq

I would say federated wiki is not ‘a version of wiki’, so much as an alternative follow-through of the original principle of wiki (by the same author). Rather than being for assembling an authorittaive community consensus across hyperlinked pages (the predominant mode of wikis), fed wiki is for personal mapping of interesting stuff (think ‘commonplace book’), direct p2p collaboration and mutual exchange, and ‘a chorus of voices’ that can be converged in a mappable constellation of distributed notes.

1 Like

If you’ve been editing on my sites above, your edits won’t have been saved to a server, and will be living in your browser’s local storage. You can tell this by pages having orange borders. Right now, I can’t offer you a way to create your own sites and farms of sites bcos wiki.cafe is not yet ‘in production’. If you were very geeky, you could run your own farm, the software is open source. @robert.best or @3wc are the folks to talk to on that.

There’s fedwiki wizards’ video chat every Wednesday, US/Pacific, Wednesday, 10:00. Pick up the meeting link and reminder in the matrix chat space: You're invited to talk on Matrix

1 Like