Is there a problem with the name Meet.coop?

As mentioned at All Hands and Product Circle - it has come up again that some people presume we mean Meat.coop - or things to do with meat, when they hear our name for the first time.

We are now developing our new brand and so if we want to change our name this would be the best time to do it.

If someone knows who we are and what we do the name Meet.coop is not really a problem. The main instance in which it is a problem is when it is mentioned to someone who does not know what we do… and having to say “the online meeting cooperative” is a bit of a mouthful.

Another instance could be if they have heard about us and try to google us - but hopefully we should be able to avoid any issues there via SEO - even around “meat.coop” … :wink:

Another reason we might consider changing our name is if our vision includes offering services for things other than meetings at some point in the future - i.e. participatory budgeting services or other asynchronous collaborative tools which are actually designed to avoid the need for meetings.

What do you think? Is there a problem with the name Meet.coop?

Do not worry about what we might change our name to - we have enough brand / marketing / design folks around to figure out some other options if we decide we should consider a new name.

Any and all feedback appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

personally I don’t have a problem with meet.coop, but I can see that if there is an intention to offer things other than meeting services, it would be a good idea to choose a name with wider resonance.

2 Likes

I recall this issue being discussed at the very beginning and I although we didn’t want to buy more than one domain name to start with I think the possibility of using meeting.coop might have come up as an answer to the potential confusion with “meat dot co-op”.

2 Likes

I agree that this sounds good and would avoid any confusions; it instantly evokes an idea of what it is in an accurate way.