Latest BBB version

new (sub)versions come out regularly and before we can take them in production we need to test them to see how they behave with our customisations. Let me open this thread as a place where we can discuss the new gems that are in the newest version, and see when and how we can best test them, and when in production.

The latest releases are here: Releases · bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton · GitHub

Before diving in, maybe @dvdjaco @elon @Yurko could remind us on what version we are currently in production? There were plans to run a dev server, or maybe tech.circle has that already without us knowing :wink:

Especially given the SSO work @elon is doing, I suppose that’s an excellent opportunity to test out the latest version? What’s your plans?

Want to point out this is a Release Candidate, not an official release.

We currently do not have a additional BBB for users to test out.

We agreed not to attempt this until SSO is in place, then we don’t have to try to manage accounts on multiple BBB servers.

1 Like

thanks for correcting me on that @Yurko :wink: I understand that BigBlueButton 2.4.7 is the latest official release, right? And where are we at atm?

What you say about using SSO makes much sense, so the SSO integration automatically allows meet.coop accounts to access.

We’re on version 2.3:

~# bbb-conf --version

BigBlueButton Server 2.3.17 (2525)

ii  bbb-apps-akka                        2.3.0-108                                 all          BigBlueButton Apps (Akka)
ii  bbb-config                           1:2.3.0-102                               amd64        BigBlueButton configuration utilities
ii  bbb-etherpad                         1:2.3.0-53                                amd64        The EtherPad Lite components for BigBlueButton
ii  bbb-freeswitch-core                  2:2.3.0-32                                amd64        BigBlueButton build of FreeSWITCH
ii  bbb-freeswitch-sounds                1:1.6.7-3                                 amd64        FreeSWITCH Sounds
ii  bbb-fsesl-akka                       2.3.0-59                                  all          BigBlueButton FS-ESL (Akka)
ii  bbb-html5                            1:2.3.0-1865                              amd64        The HTML5 components for BigBlueButton
ii  bbb-libreoffice-docker               1:2.3.0-60                                amd64        BigBlueButton setup for LibreOffice running in docker
ii  bbb-mkclean                          1:0.8.7-4                                 amd64        Clean and optimize Matroska and WebM files
ii  bbb-playback                         1:2.3.0-23                                amd64        BigBlueButton playback
ii  bbb-playback-presentation            1:2.3.0-13                                amd64        BigBluebutton playback of presentation
ii  bbb-record-core                      1:2.3.0-38                                amd64        BigBlueButton record and playback
ii  bbb-web                              1:2.3.0-103                               amd64        BigBlueButton API
ii  bbb-webrtc-sfu                       1:2.3.0-44                                amd64        BigBlueButton WebRTC SFU
ii  bigbluebutton                        1:2.3.0-7                                 amd64        Open source web conferencing platform (bbb)
ii  ffmpeg                               7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        Tools for transcoding, streaming and playing of multimedia files
ii  libavcodec58:amd64                   7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library with de/encoders for audio/video codecs - runtime files
ii  libavdevice58:amd64                  7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library for handling input and output devices - runtime files
ii  libavfilter7:amd64                   7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library containing media filters - runtime files
ii  libavformat58:amd64                  7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library with (de)muxers for multimedia containers - runtime files
ii  libavresample4:amd64                 7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg compatibility library for resampling - runtime files
ii  libavutil56:amd64                    7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library with functions for simplifying programming - runtime files
ii  libopusenc0                          0.2.1-1bbb1                               amd64        High-level API for encoding Ogg Opus audio streams
ii  libpostproc55:amd64                  7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library for post processing - runtime files
ii  libswresample3:amd64                 7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library for audio resampling, rematrixing etc. - runtime files
ii  libswscale5:amd64                    7:4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1bbb2~18.04              amd64        FFmpeg library for image scaling and various conversions - runtime files

1 Like

2.5 is stable as of a little over a month ago (currently 2.5.2).

A few things I’ve seen:
Improved web cam features - everyone loves backgrounds :wink:
Better audio selection options
Multiple view layouts & ability to push out a preferred layout as moderator
Learning analytics dashboard
Mute users from context menu
Network statistics display/copy

These are just a few things I notice switching between a new instance I can use and the meet.coop instance - it’s entirely possible this instance has things disabled.

4 Likes

What are the customizations in meet.coop version of BBB?

These changes look very nice. :slight_smile:

Somewhere - I think it was the PublicSpaces BBB @wouter - I tried what I thought was the latest BBB, and noticed one change for the worse, in the whiteboard. The whiteboard was now rebuilt, using TL:Draw components - which is good. But the line widths are narrower than in the old whiteboard. It was impossible to dfaw a fat line, which is something I often do, for highlting a slide.

However, here https://gl.de3.meet.coop is also what I thought was the latest BBB.And this still has the old whiteboard, with the fat lines.

So, what’s the status of the whiteboard, in 2.5, being discussed here? What version is Public Spaces? What version is https://gl.de3.meet.coop?

2.6 is the first release with TLDRAW. its will be released as 2.6.0 next week by project, the RC versions of this have been in limited production for the past few months.

Also have export of the annotations with the slides and finally native video formats for recording on m4v

regards,
Stephen

1 Like

Greenlight V2 is also deprecated, with V3 as the build included with bbb-install.sh

https://meet.agaric.coop server is a bare metal server in Europe with aggressive goals to transition to fully green.

Anyone can create an account and private rooms.

This is stock BBB 2.6 with new GL V3 and Stephen has added the new video
recording format. You will see both presentation and video formats
when recordings appear.

Stephen also enabled client side auto translation which uses the CC closed captions. It supports English, Portuguese and Spanish. Just need to enable it when you join your audio and then all your talking is converted to closed captions.
There is a private internal voice engine being developed to eliminate
google, but more complex and yet to be proven if it will be as
accurate.