Redesign UX flows, onboarding, SSO

This is in fact a multi-circle topic: the redesign of the user/member onboarding flow. In the document I have described the current pain points and some suggestions for redesigning the process in the new website. It should help us discuss the need for a user account / identity management server. We have the offer from IndieHosters to learn from their experience with keycloak. This document is a non-technical approach to explore what we could need short and mid-term.
It also provides ideas for making the meet.coop website the central place for users to deal with and get access to everything meet.coop.

Please have a look in the document, add comments, improvements and corrections as you see fit and feel free to comment here :wink:
BTW I have taken the flow diagrams that we initiated on Eileenā€™s miro board and described the key issues, usecases and possible plans for the future into this document:

2 Likes

I was halfway through making a new post about this when I realised I was basically duplicating your work @wouter. Thank you for starting this! I wonder if itā€™s worth adding ā€œSSOā€ to the title to make clear that this is the place to discuss it.

One thing I wanted to add to the ā€œpain pointsā€ is that operational members need at least 4 sets of credentials per person: Discourse, Nextcloud, Greenlight (possibly Ɨ2), and Kimai.

And, on the technical platform, I thought it would be helpful to drop in the earlier thoughts from the tech circle:

As a post-script, Autonomic uses Keycloak and itā€™s OK but I share @unteemā€™s concerns with the UI.

Nextcloud also now does support OIDC so maybe hyda is a better solution, although it doesnā€™t sound like any of us has personal experience with it.

Last I checked a couple of months ago, Kimai doesnā€™t support any SSO protocols (LDAP, SAML, or OIDC) and the only option for login integration is LDAP ā€“ but I donā€™t think that should hold us up.

Autonomic could potentially help with implementation, especially if any budget can be allocated to this work.

1 Like

thanks @3wc for recompiling these posts and the offer to help out with this. As we discussed last week, we look forward to first have an exploratory meeting to study 1) our needs and 2) the possible solution with keycloak. Our needs are somewhat drafty documented and I feel this is a moving target: the more the solution can provide us, the more interesting our needs :wink:

We look to plan a dedicated session in the first weeks of January where we get together with @unteem, hopefully @decentral1se and @3wc to get a better feel for keycloak as part of the solution and @georgiamoon, Eileen, @melissamcnab @osb @benhylau @Yurko to think of how we want to streamline our onboarding and user management with SSO. Also Iā€™d like to invite @NickM from Resonate as they are struggling with similar challenges over there.

Hereā€™s a few options

keycloak SSO user management session
  • 12/01 10 GMT
  • 13/01 10 GMT
  • 14/01 10 GMT
  • 15/01 10 GMT
  • 12/01 14 GMT
  • 13/01 14 GMT
  • 15/01 14 GMT
  • itā€™s not problematic if I cannot make it

0 voters

hopefully one of those dates fits most or all!

2 Likes

great, thanks for your votes! 12th and 13th fit all, letā€™s see who helps to make the final choice :wink:
@decentral1se @dvdjaco @NickM ?

1 Like

Good day, new year and new decade to you all :slight_smile:
based on your preferences I conclude that we meet next Wednesday 13th at 14h GMT, see here the event. See you then!

thanks to all for the great session, I learnt a lot and was happy to validate several doubts! Thanks to @unteem in particular. And to @georgiamoon for keeping notes - I have added to them after the meet, and included the links to the recordings of the session. See here the notes.

Dunno where you all are at with this but I saw that BBB now supports OpenID Connect login (yay!) and besides still using Keycloak heavily (which has solid OpenID Connect support), weā€™ve started experimenting with an external user management tool over in GitHub - decentral1se/keycloak-collective-portal: Community Keycloak SSO user management. Mirror of https://git.autonomic.zone/autonomic-cooperative/keycloak-collective-portal where weā€™ve added a prototype for invite links for self-sign up. Would be curious to hear if youā€™ve made any progress on a custom SSO solution or are using other things?

1 Like

thanks @decentral1se for bringing this up. We havenā€™t really made progress on the SSO ambition yet. Still keycloak seems like a powerful solution, but with various UX challenges, as you (also) seem to point out.

In your keycloak-collective-portal extension code, I read that all new signups have the same global permission level. But I imagine that some users may have an admin role or other to allow them to perform certain administrative tasks. Thatā€™s distinguished, right?

I imagine it useful that a collective when joining, would have the possibility to administer members inside their collective. Imagine Collective X signs up for a multi-user service, they could then have their member accounts access a specific service (say greenlight-for-collectiveX.meet.coop like we have now for a series of members). Some of the accounts can be part of more than 1 collective.

Does this usecase work with your setup?

1 Like

In this prototype, anyone who has an account with the Keycloak, can do any administrative action because I use a client generated on the Keycloak side that has full adminstrative powers. But I could generate a less powerful client and use that for making access. Right now, either way, only invites are supported in the web interface UI.

I imagine it useful that a collective when joining, would have the possibility to administer members inside their collective. Imagine Collective X signs up for a multi-user service, they could then have their member accounts access a specific service (say greenlight-for-collectiveX.meet.coop like we have now for a series of members). Some of the accounts can be part of more than 1 collective.

I think accounts are tied to a ā€œRealmā€ in Keycloak unless you are the global administrator so unsure if cross-collective members could have access to different collectives without also have more administration powers than desired. This could be worked around though, I guess.

But otherwise, what you describe is totally possible. Each BBB instance can have a specific client which can be connected in the Keycloak and in the collective portal to match each collective.

This would require some planning and mapping things out but I am excited to be finally able to say that complex sign-up workflows look implementable now that BBB supports OpenID Connect and Iā€™ve discovered that the Keycloak REST API is extensive and allows for administration from external sources (the portal).

I invite you to try to break some of what youā€™ve described above into smaller pieces and open up the discussion on Issues Ā· Autonomic-Cooperative/keycloak-collective-portal Ā· GitHub. The smaller the piece the better. At least we can put pen to paper on what would be useful on the issue tracker. Funding that work is another thing but good to put in the theory work now.

Btw, here is a short video on the current experimental invite links prototype: https://matrix.autonomic.zone/_matrix/media/r0/download/autonomic.zone/HRQwVkAwGdxIwaqFhUttbckB (uploaded in the #coopcloud:autonomic.zone matrix channel.

1 Like

I entered a few smaller pieces as issues as you suggested. Is this useful?

2 Likes

Thank you @wouter, much appreciated! I will try to think through these ideas and propose how to tackle them soon when I get time. I think it would be really great to suppor these suggested modes of operating.

1 Like

We approved SSO for the first Bounty! Yay.
And I took on a task to ā€˜specā€™ out what we want from a Product Circle perspective but, as @benhylau pointed out:

The ā€œaskā€ can be high level. There is no need to drill into specific implementations. Thatā€™s the job of the tech circle.

So hereā€™s the ā€˜Askā€™:

Essential:

Automated sign up process so that:

• New customers can sign up online (via Open Collective / Stripe / other)
  • Their User accounts on .ca and .de are created automatically
  • They are emailed Welcome and Login details automatically
  • Password reset which effects all accounts
  • Access to Account Management (to upgrade, downgrade or unsubscribe) using the same login

Nice to have / Phase 2

• Forum linked with SSO - So new user accounts are automatically created for the Forum too - and details of this are included in the (auto generated) Welcome email
  • SSO (using the same details as above) for Ops Members in our Next Cloud
  • SSO (using the same details as above) for Ops Members in our Chat channel

I think thatā€™s what we want, please do add any more thoughts / feedbackā€¦

Over to Tech Circle to tell us if this is doable, how, and how much time it might take!? :wink:

@osb did you read the ā€œFraming of SSOā€¦ā€ a few days ago? It includes 4 high level product view objectives.

At this moment weā€™ll only want to do part of that, but still there are a few relevant thoughts in there that I think we should reflect on.

1. Can we OWN the onboarding instead of OC owning it? This would make things much better for us, not the least for the 2nd comment just below.
  2. Not everyone needing an account will need to pay: to start all people willing to join the forum, or demo or any other free service we could have. So I think weā€™ll want to give people the ability to a) sign up and then b) subscribe to a membership & service level. All elements in your ā€œaskā€ are relevant, but Iā€™d hope we can make sure the onboarding takes these two elements in account.

Recall the Onboarding process flow as described and drawn in the above document " Meet.coop UX & work flows"

Hopefully this helps to clarify. Let us know what can be done reasonably in the first phase and what goes in a second?

I did

My view is still as per the above Ask - but this is only my opinion - I think it is now up to Tech Circle to provide rough time / cost estimates for the work

1 Like

I guess the devil is in the details, so letā€™s hear from tech.circle indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to follow the progress and read the design documents. Is it possible for someone with no account on https://cloud.meet.coop/ to see the cards etc.?

1 Like

I am currently working on SSO for meet.coop. The tasks are being tracked here Meet.coop SSO plan Ā· Issue #494 Ā· hyphacoop/organizing Ā· GitHub