Session#3 - The structure and the struggle - Viable coop organisation and contributions to transition in society
Natalie Brenner & Jaime Villareal (May First Movement Technology, USA/Mexico)
- Experience (across years) of operating a digital infrastructure coop with a membership comprising autonomous movement organisations.
- Working with a machinery (an ecology?) of boards, annual assemblies, board elections, member priorities; paid and unpaid contributions.
- Meeting political priorities as distinct from (alongside?) livelihood or infrastructure priorities.
- The structure and the struggle: legal, organisational and economic frameworks on one hand (coop form/coop law/coop incorporation, revenue framework, admin machinery, etc) and the struggle to transition operations towards ‘governance’ in the context of the world we want to see: a solidarity economy, a non-capitalist society and the commons.
- The life of a coop in ‘the non-profit industrial complex’.
22 November 2021 Gathering starts 18:00 UTC, closes at 19:00. Extra time runs from 19:00 for half an hour, for offers & wants, informal check-in and organiser-chat.
Please register for this event - knowing how many people intend to participate helps us decide our facilitation approach.
Click the ‘GOING’ icon at the top of this page:
The gathering is in the commons.hour room at meet. coop. For best performance, please use Firefox or Chrome browser, and a PC or laptop. The meeting will be recorded. If you wish to be anonymous you should join with an altered name, and leave your camera off.
Background notes: The landing page in our draft handbook is here : Commoning - Spaces stewarded as commons.
Various pages in that part of the handbook are incomplete at this stage, but here is a 15min video (recorded in a BBB room) which sketches the four models of governance, to be considered in that section: Governance & contribution in commons and here are the slides https://cloud.meet.coop/s/sGAfrdLbjZmJX65
- Session#3 discussion thread - Session#3 - Discussion - #2 Post-meeting links & resources (video recording, shared notes, etc) will be posted here.