Thanks to The Digital Live Collective for providing our demo.meet.coop server

We are very grateful to the Digital Life Collective for their contribution of a 2x E5440 @ 2.83GHz (8 core) 16GiB ram 2TB disk server which is now hosting demo.meet.coop, this server is intended as a demonstration server, it is open for anyone to create accounts on to try BigBlueButton … please use this server to introduce people to The Online Meeting Co-operative so they can have a play with the functionality.

We have a servers page on the wiki where all the different servers we have are listed together with their purpose and the level of service you can expect from them.

3 Likes

Hi!

Recently, I have noticed that our demo server has not been performing well - just a few hours ago, a 3-person session we had was so choppy we had to switch to another BBB service outside of meet.coop

I think we should install something like Xymon

https://www.xymon.com/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?HOST=vcloud2.vservers&SERVICE=cpu

and we should get ssh access to the server.

What do you think?

We have SSH access to the server but I haven’t setup Munin stats for it (I expect the issue is with connectivity rather than load) — as soon as we have multiple Greenlights working we should migrate the demo.meet.coop sites to a container on ca.meet.coop.

2 Likes

Since the server is a physical machine and not a virtual server I would expect good performance. I do not have ssh access to investigate the problems but there has been choppy speech occasionally. Here is a review from one user.

Basil Today at 8:00 AM
Hi Jim, had a meeting using meet.coop as a workshop for our community. Some feedback for consideration: Audio kept “chopping”. Haven’t heard this type of chop before, it wasn’t an electronic kind of distortion, but a i can hear 1 second, 1 second gone, back again, gone again.

The delete button on the shared whiteboard removes ALL your annotations. No way to just remove your last one, or delete one input. So if i mistyped my last text addition for eg, i can only delete everything else I have written or keep it there.

The shared notes takes very long time to load. I suppose this is an integrated API?

Finally, I’d highly recommend a standardized sticky note system for text, vs drawing a box for text input of varying sizes. It just makes things easier I think?

Otherwise I love the project and really keen to help support.

These could be bugs from older BigBlueButton versions. Maybe we should try to update the demo server soon.

Also, changing the size of txt font (at ‘Settings’) changes all text except the shared notes - which is perhaps where it’s most wanted?! How can this option be extended to the Etherpad back-end thro the API?

mtr has shown better network performance compared with other machines (physical and virtual) I have tested including ca.meet.coop. The bandwidth used is insignificant. Any ideas why some people are experiencing choppy speech?

There where a lot of bug fixes in the last few months and I remember at least one chopped audio bug, so updating BBB might do it.

1 Like

demo.meet.coop is not working. Joining a room you get “Connecting to echo test…” forever. The screen is frozen. After a time I can here my echo but the qindoq is frozen.

Where should this be reported? Console messages copied below

2sip.js?v=992:1272 SIP.EventEmitter#off is deprecated and may be removed in future SIP.js versions.
Please use removeListener or removeAllListeners instead.
See here for more details:
http://nodejs.org/api/events.html#events_emitter_removelistener_event_listener
off @ sip.js?v=992:1272
(anonymous) @ faaf19482693ee628033a6a7d1d2bbf12b5688a1.js?meteor_js_resource=true:121
k @ faaf19482693ee628033a6a7d1d2bbf12b5688a1.js?meteor_js_resource=true:121
EventEmitter.emit @ sip.js?v=992:112
peerConnection.oniceconnectionstatechange @ sip.js?v=992:11591
sip.js?v=992:2900 Fri Aug 21 2020 15:24:46 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) | sip.invitecontext.mediahandler | RTCIceGatheringState changed: complete
faaf19482693ee628033a6a7d1d2bbf12b5688a1.js?meteor_js_resource=true:9 [15:24:46:0191] INFO: clientLogger: ICE Candidate selected - type: prflx, protocol: udp, ipProtocol: v4 https://demo.meet.coop/html5client/faaf19482693ee628033a6a7d1d2bbf12b5688a1.js?meteor_js_resource=true:121:1215035
sip.js?v=992:2900 Fri Aug 21 2020 15:24:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) | sip.invitecontext.mediahandler | RTCIceChecking Timeout Triggered after 5000 milliseconds
sip.js?v=992:2900 Fri Aug 21 2020 15:25:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) | sip.transaction.ict | Timer B expired for INVITE client transaction z9hG4bK6952307
sip.js?v=992:2900 Fri Aug 21 2020 15:25:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) | sip.transaction.ict | Timer M expired for INVITE client transaction z9hG4bK6952307

Hi @jimscarver actually we wanted to reinstall and update BigBlueButton on the demo server this week, as this would be the first step to debug and fix the issues that the server seems to have. But wekve noticed that the server has no IPv6 address, which should be added if possible. I‘ve sent you an email about that yesterday.

Hello, an IPv6 assignment has been provisioned to your service

2604:4300:a:368::/64
Gateway6: 2604:4300:a:368::1

1 Like

@Sebas891 @hng is our demo and production servers now the same CPU and only with double the RAM on the production? If so we should be able to treat their perf as references to one another. Thoughts?

@benhylau @hng it would be ideal to have some sort of load test to compare servers. Maybe I’m just dreaming.

Specs for demo.meet.coop from our wiki:

• CPU 8 core / 16 threads
  • 16G
  • 2TB disk

So CPU is similar but ca.meet.coop has 32 GB RAM

1 Like

Our current production server at Koumbit has dual quad core Xeon 3.0Ghz E5440 so I think it’s literally the same CPU.

1 Like