Welcome at The Online Meeting Cooperative forum!

Hello everyone.
I am a linux sys admin, self thought and with many years of experience but my original profession is as an electronics engineer.
I have orbiting around workers rights for many years and i have known about workers co-ops for some years but only now i found about tech co-ops which gives me a new hope of being able to work with like minded people on the tech field i like so much.
Congratulations to this community creators.
Ill be around and always available for any help in any way of my capacities.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi Wouter,
So nice to reconnect with you here. I hope we can build on our lovely discussions last year in Barcelona (and previously in London.)
I’m hoping to combine BBB (synchronous communication with great facilities for coming to agreement) with Discourse (asynchronous communication with some great features). I think l they can work well together. Will be saying much more when I find a suitable place in this Forum.

I’ll introduce myself to everyone below.

Regards,

Gary

1 Like

H folks,
I’m Gary, from Norfolk, England, but grew up in Brooklyn, New York. I see various old friends here. I was one of the co-founders of the Open Coop (with OliSB and Josef Davies Coates), met Wouter various times.
I was on the Board of the Transition Network for 4 years. I worked for the UK’s Open University for 37 years, creating courses in elecronics, environment among other things. I was one of the people that put the OU online, so helped invent online learning.

My EarthConnected website has more about me, various papers and talks, and a free ebook version of my book, eGaia, Growing a peaceful, sustainable Earth through communications]. My current project is Planetmakers, (still a work in progress, but great graphics!) and we are hoping to use BBB and Discourse as proof-of-concept software.

I’m looking forward to meeting more of you and working with you. Meet.coop looks like a great community!
Gary

1 Like

Welcome, Gary, so good to have you here and receive your support as member! Check the forum for some discussion channels and topics and feel free to contribute and/or open a new thread as you see fit.
best,
Wouter

1 Like

Wouter, Would love to have a BBB chat with you sometime soon for a little catch up. And some pointers to where there is interesting activity on this forum, and who here might help me get more deeply into both BBB and Discourse.
Did you see my Yule party proposal? Would you be into that, or might people in Barcelona be part of it? If we are to build a society that is lower on material consumption and high on social support and interaction, we need to figure out how to have great parties within the constraints of COVID!

1 Like

Hi @garyalex your Yule party proposal sounds fun! I’ll reply there.

Hello fellow co-operators!

I’m Nick Meyne, Secretary of Resonate the music streaming co-operative. I’m excited to be a member of meet.coop and hugely impressed with what you are achieving here. We can learn a lot from you!

Looking forward to collaborating with you all, in global solidarity, and potentially working on a ‘co-operative commons’ for many of our mutual services and potential future exchanges and interactions.

Great to be here!

Nick

Oh… and here is a shameless plug for membership of Resonate… have a look, learn about us and then sign up if you like what you see. You know it makes sense!

so nice to see you here, I think Resonate is a great project (I signed up as member time ago). And yes to creating and strengthening together the cooperative commons!

1 Like

Hey Wouter! Thanks! I had a long chat with OliSB yesterday about possible collaboration on mutual membership ‘identity’… we have a project called ‘Community Credentials
… by the way, I’m very interested in how you organise volunteers and record and reward contributions… I was very impressed by your post here - Compensation framework What do you use at time.meet.coop? is it clockify or something similar? How are you getting on with it?

Ah… I see it’s https://www.kimai.org/ Any tips for us?

yeah, it’s Kimai. It’s pretty good. Chris from Webarchitects set it up. You might want to ping him directly with more concrete questions for the technical setup. In any case, it is being quite a practical tool for the team to log time I think. And it is well documented…

1 Like

Great! Many thanks! We’ll try it out this weekend… looks good and easy to set up… there’s a docker image.

Were you able to ‘customise it’ for co-op use?.. did it fit in with your compensation framework processes nicely?

Hi there, did you know we’re organising our first online meet.coop Xmas party?!

meet.coop_Xmas_party_2020_200px

Would be great if you could stop by and say hi! Next Friday at 17h CET. Please follow the link and confirm you’re Going.

I’m Gary, from Norfolk, England, but grew up in Brooklyn, New York. I see various old friends here. I was one of the co-founders of the Open Coop (with OliSB and Josef Davies Coates), met Wouter various times.
I was on the Board of the Transition Network for 4 years. I worked for the UK’s Open University for 37 years, creating courses in elecronics, environment among other things. I was one of the people that put the OU online, so helped invent online learning.

My EarthConnected website has more about me, various papers and talks, and a free ebook version of my book, eGaia, Growing a peaceful, sustainable Earth through communications]. My current project is Planetmakers, (still a work in progress, but great graphics!) and we are hoping to use BBB and Discourse as proof-of-concept software.

I’m looking forward to meeting more of you and working with you. Meet.coop looks like a great community!> I’m Gary, from Norfolk, England, but grew up in Brooklyn, New York. I see various old friends here. I was one of the co-founders of the Open Coop (with OliSB and Josef Davies Coates), met Wouter various times.

I’m looking forward to meeting more of you and working with you. Meet.coop looks like a great community!

1 Like

Hi! :wave:t3:

I’m Ana Ulin, a software engineer contributing to Zinc.coop and Ampled, among other things.

At Zinc we are working on a product called Convene, which we envision as digital collaboration spaces containing video conferencing. We’ve been hosting our own video infrastructure but we’d love to share the costs of operating the video infrastructure with like-minded folks. Seems like Meet.coop is the perfect place for us to join forces with other cooperators that want to pool video infrastructure resources, so here I am. :smile_cat:

I’m here to explore how might we at Zinc join forces with y’all at Meet.coop. I’ve posted more in detail about that in a new topic, here: Zinc.coop looking to join forces on video infrastructure

2 Likes

Welcome @anaulin! I see that in another thread you’re already engaging to explore ways for collaboration, that’s wonderful!

1 Like

hi,
here you see three happy people in front of you now: Ulrike, Knut and me (Steff) - the team ©movingsport.
Last year we held many online meetings (with big headaches) with great experts from Ecuador. Unfortunately, we were using zoom. This year we have finally made the step into self-determined virtual meeting spaces. We really want to thank you for letting us join your community!
I’m a gender equality expert and linguist with expertise in project conceptions about gender aspects and equality under an intersectional perspective, especially in the context of European structural policies in connection with gender equality in the areas of labour market policies, education, language, new media. I’ve been working in the area of information management (web-based information systems) and last year I shifted my focus more into the field of gender equality in transnational sports concepts.
As the team ©movingsport Ulrike, Knut and I bring scientifically based and innovative movement concepts into practice in order to initiate sustainable development on the social, economic and ecological level.
Our guiding principles are gender equality, anti-racism, inclusion and ecological sustainability. Our goal is to promote health and learning through measures of physical activities.
Our current project together with Ecuadorian partners is called #ecuador_en_movimiento_2021 Proyecto Transnacional de Multiplicador@s en actividades físicas. If you like to have a look: this is a short intro (video on youtube): #ecuador en movimiento 2020 proyecto transnacional de multiplicador@s en actividades fisicas - YouTube
Soon we’ll provide a longer video about the main focus, topics, content e. g.
In our transnational and transdisciplinary contexts, we’re guided by the objectives of the following framework documents and legal requirements:
UN-CEDAW – Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women
UN-CRPD – Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, especially art. 6 (girls, women).
UN-Agenda 2030 and 17 SDG – Sustainable Development Goals
—> gender equality from an anti-racist, intersectional perspective: all genders in their diversity of local and social origin, age, impairments.
Gender/sex, social and ethnic origin, class, impairments are structural perspectives of social power relations and not purely identity categories or individual characteristics. This perspective shows the structures of power within the patriarchal social system that we want to change.
The project is not only about the individual level of participation, it’s about changing the discriminatory social structures, which created and reinforced inequalities and injustices.
It would be great to bring some of our experience into the meet.coop-community!
(Our “method”: In our current project we built up a learning network, kind of a community of practice.)

1 Like

wonderful to see you here, @steff! What you say about deconstructing power structures is a real challenge that I’d like to learn from you - it’ll be great any contribution you can make on that front!

Thanks for a clear and full introduction @steff, and it was very nice to meet you in the community discussion a few days ago. I would like to see ways in which the insights and ways forward you are coming up with can be shared widely among the Meet.coop partners, as I am sure many would appreciate them, even if it isn’t the focus of their work. That kind of sharing is one of the main things I would like to see come out of the proposed Community Circle.

It’s so helpful to have this perspective within this community @steff Old-timers like me in various traditions might talk about altering relations of production or even structures of feeling. But it’s all the same intention of social and economic transformation, I think, expressed in various ways by different generations or communities.

Being more explicit about such structural stuff is part of the framing that the Community programme will find itself engaging with, I think. Because, a global digital infrastructure like meet.coop - The Online Meeting Cooperative is nothing if not structural :open_mouth: So what’s the critical difference between coop-commons governed structures of digital provision, and corporate-consumer ones? Answers on one side of A4 paper please :wink: