Working as a community

A great message, @mikemh! Brought up a lot of the ideas in the past 2 days meetings. I would especially like to highlight:

1. A programme of events: Yes, maybe a BBB room that is an ongoing ‘channel’ with regular events of interest to the community, such as those you list.
  2. Members presenting themselves: Yes. I would like to see if we can find groups of our members who have some clear connection/need for mutual support, and see if they would meet on a fairly regular basis. (And a members directory to help support this.)
  3. A space together: Offering a combination of tools, like BBB and Discourse that work together as community support. So, the events room above would have a Discourse topic or even a category to announce events, carry on discussions between events, etc. I would especially like to try out using Discourse for Synergy (offers and wants). The key marketing point is that we are offering much more than an inferior alternative to Zoom. We are offering a richer online enviroment, plus peer support from like minded groups. You aren’t buying a tool from an SaaS company, you are joining a community.

I’ve just been in an Art o Hosting workshop convened by @osb, an interesting learning experience, giving some more structure and tools for hosting conversations. Here’s an illustration of the “8 breaths”

In the breakout sessions I presented our intention to set up a series of periodic events. A companion suggested to have a look at this mutual aid network. Below I’ll try to write down a concrete first version of how it could look, let’s see!

the call What’d be the purpose of this cycle of events? As Mickey brings up:

Clarify Maybe we could frame this as a general purpose for the series of gatherings/meetups? The Community.circle would take responsibility for curating the programme of events, which can be each session with a different host(s) + member presenter + key topic. E.g. FoEI might want to discuss the challenges of simultaneous translations, with their specific cases to which other members may want to add.

And define Before, some minimum ingredients for each meetup to have settled and communicated in advance? like:

• date: every X weeks on this or that day and time
  • host: at least one member should take responsibility for hosting the session, it could also be co-hosted. This could be very formal or we just see how it emerges? How can we make sure our different member bases join the process?
  • presenter: one member that will highlight their usecase and a key discussion topic
  • prior to the session it will be announced at least in the forum in its category, and member organisations may feel inclined to sent it through their channels as well, at least for those topics/sessions that they might feel more connected with?

During:

• default room, with recording option on, every one moderator by default,…
  • basic respectful code of conduct, at the start the host gives a welcome and check whether everyone is comfortable, maybe a brief intro to the online space is useful?
  • evolve a shared practice, of checking in who’s in the meeting and what they want to contribute to the topic, highlighted member presentation, feedback from all participants, discussion, if the group is bigger, a breakout session might be beneficial, suggestions for next host/presenter/topic
  • shared notes are stored before closing of the meeting

Afterwards

• we harvest the results and connections between people, make the recording public (this will result in a long list of recordings at the Greenlight entrance to the specific room
  • people follow up actions, the community circle keeps an eye to facilitate where necessary
  • we’ll want to reflect upon and improve the event cycle and generate a positive feedback loop

How does this look? Just a few thoughts to go concreting our community gatherings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks amazing Wouter! I believe a lot of connections, knowledge and side-projects could arise from this kind of non-formal calls.

I would like to participate by sharing my ideas on (digital) participation inside big and complex orgs/structures and how Meet.coop can connect with other tools like Vocdoni to improve the governance of such orgs (+100 members orgs with different levels of participations), and debate on this (experiences, sharing other tools, ways to make these tools interoperable, and more).

Maybe we can build a Call-for-requests tag with a simple template so people can propose topics opening a thread?

1 Like

There’s many good ideas and reflections already in this thread. Maybe it’d be good if we start setting a date for the next meeting to draw some conclusions and get ourselves started?

Community pre-circle meeting
  • 12/01 10 GMT
  • 12/01 14 GMT
  • 12/01 16 GMT
  • 13/01 10 GMT
  • 13/01 14 GMT
  • 13/01 16 GMT
  • 14/01 10 GMT
  • 15/01 10 GMT
  • 15/01 14 GMT
  • 15/01 16 GMT

0 voters

Hopefully this works! Think of people we need to invite for this session.

the chosen time for the pre-circle meeting is Jan 12th at 16 GMT. CU then, @freescholar, @garyalex, @mikemh, and others who’d like to join.

1 Like

Fine! In my diary, and looking forward to it.
It has been very quiet in this Forum recently. I hope everyone is well!

Gary

The notes I assembled a month ago are a bit complex as the basis of a meeting. So here is a proposed agenda of 5 items for Tuesday’s meeting, extracted from those notes Community circle @ meet.coop - HedgeDoc

Happy new year. Seriously :grin:

@mikemh: great agenda proposal :smiley:

Just re-reading this prior to our meeting this afternoon. I think it is very good, and clear. My preliminary thoughts are:

• The purpose of this Circle is to help the Meet.coop community to see themselves as a mutual support community. This could be an option beyond just buying a service (BBB)
  • To help with this, we are running a series of regular events, thought out so they will attract people, who will enjoy themselves.
  • We start each event with a brief period of connection, a check-in with people introducing themselves, either in plenary, or in breakout rooms if the numbers are sufficient.
  • Then comes the main offering, a talk, discussion, whatever, as Wouter says.
  • Then a brief synergy/offers/wants session.
  • Finally a checkout and feedback, using the shared whiteboard.
    Looking forward to this afternoon.
    Gary

@wouter will you please create a read-only version of the Nextcloud draft for All-hands, from yesterday’s Circle preparation meeting, and publish it here? I don’t seem to have privileges to create that version.

Publish also here? - All Hands meetings on Thursdays

All-hands meeting: Thursdays, starting at 15:00 CET. In the main meet.coop room: MEET.COOP MAIN MEETING ROOM

Here are notes from the discussion yesterday. To be discussed in all-hands tomorrow Community circle preparation meeting - HedgeDoc

1 Like

great work, @mikemh!

Here’s a thought about digital infrastructure, solidarity economy and global-South organisations, prompted by this emerging conversation about a Community Circle. This is a bit ahead of the game, as regards our coop’s financial base and network extent - there are real revenue and tech issues to be addressed right now. But I think we need to start figuring this out, bcos it’s a hard one, that won’t fall into place easily?

2nd prep meeting for a meet.coop Community circle
Here’s a proposed agenda for tomorrow Disroot pads

We meet at 15h CET, or 14h GMT, or 9h EST, or 7h Mountain Time in this room: MEET.COOP MAIN MEETING ROOM

Notes from the above gathering will be posted in a new thread Community programme. That is where future notifications of meetings will appear. This thread here continues, for broader discussion of working as a community. Also, a Community category has been created.

Following the 2nd prep meeting - with a dozen participants - a programme team has been formed, to develop a Community programme and create a pilot session. Some draft initial principles and protocols for the programme have been posted for discussion. A working list of topics for sessions will be posted shortly.

Thinking forward, to a time when a formal Community circle is established, here’s something to think about, on governance, the meet.coop community, sociocracy and platform coops. Seems to me, the Community programme is tacitly approaching this puzzle. “Separate the operations and the member community.” Create places where each can assemble. And create explicit places where they engage one another.

Hey there,

I’m totally new to meet.coop, but have been working with self organizing organizations for a while. After reading some of the comments, I have some thoughts which might at least trigger some further ideas or useful rabbit holes for exploration and consideration :slight_smile:

I’ve worked with community led organizations of a variety of types, from dance communities (www.ashevillemovementcollective.org and others), to residential communities and more.

Ultimately, participation of the broader membership is often challenged by people’s various time limitations.

Also, large decision making groups can be difficult.

However, having steakholder representation (ie. people speaking for all of the voices) in the right places is key. Where are the right places, and who are the steakholders that need representation are the key elements.

There are many ways to do this via effective circle structures (which are always growing a changing!). How to include broader groups is often a puzzle, depending on your organization type. For instance, how democratic schools include parents in decision making? How does a service/business include its clients? How does a government include its citizens? and of course: how does a coop include its owners (who are not necessarily all active workers?)

There’s not a one-size fits all answer, and developing (and evlovling!) circle structures takes some time. Here’s a free little course on circle structures that might help though!

Also, while having open meetings is a great thing, and keeps the decision making group small enough to be manageable, having links with the broader group can be helpful. This is a strategy that the Asheville Movement Collective used to support the voice of the broader dancer community along side the voice of staff/worker/volunteer dancers. In that instance, there were simply participatory guest slots for any dancers from the community directly onto the Core organizing circles! (nominated by the circle and announced for self nomination, then sociocratically elected by the circle).
Another strategy AMC used is to have a more informal “dancer’s gathering” on a regular basis to keep the boarder membership informed, and develop “pathways into the organization”. Of course, there are some differences as to what it means to move “into the organization” which differ, but some elements of this strategy may be applicable.

Transparency can be helpful, but also overhwelming. Things like making the Nextcloud public are both fraught with possible security/privacy issues, and a risk of too much information not being manageable.

Other ideas I’ve heard are things like having github based organizational policy manual (where issues can be submitted by members ;P) - and of course, meeting minutes would always be public for review.

An (active) member(s oriented) newsletter can also be a useful tool, is there one?

A last note - the reality is, not all members can participate in the same ways. Some may have great value from a service they pay for, and not have much to add to governance… until they do! I’ve heard many a story from cohousing communities of the members who never come to meetings until they do! because XYZ isn’t how they wish it would be… and then they experience the joy of being able to participate and co-create their world :slight_smile: But, sometimes when things are working, there’s just not a big need to activity and that’s not always bad. (but it can be hard to tell sometimes if people aren’t participating because it’s working or because of some other reason, so of course, don’t get complacent ;P)

Anyhow - just some thoughts! :slight_smile:

• CJ
3 Likes

Participating in the emerging community programme @ meet.coop?

Tomorrow I’m holding 'office hours’ in social.coop (who recently opened a multi-user account @ meet.coop) on the above topic.

All welcome: Sunday March 7th, 17:00 GMT 12:00 Eastern US
Meet here: mike @ meet.coop

Background documentation on the Community programme is here:

Great that you are sharing these experiences here, CJ!

Well, yes and no: we do have an announce News page at OpenCollective, that send out an email notification. It (only) goes to the members who have contributed through OC. That’s not bad, but you cannot really subscribe to it otherwise. Besides, each collective contributing to meet.coop may use one (institutional?) email address at OC but maybe several of a collective would be happy to be receiving our newsletter.

Another set of channels is through this forum. The forum is partially overlapping with the members as contributors to OC, but is much bigger in number of users. We have no single “announce page” yet where we encourage everyone to subscribe to and post news items there. Somthing that shouldn’t be too hard to do.

Another option is to set up a real newsletter distribution channel. Technically a tool such as mailtrain (the free software alternative to mailchimp) would be a very decent solution. But it is just another tool to set up, maintain. In any case, having a newsletter to subscribe to would be something that we’d want to have on our website, isn’t it?