Self-serve download video recordings

This is an interesting vision @illuminagent and we should note it. I and others agree that the Greenlight interface, the existing recording-handling options, and the uses that are made of the video recording capacity of BBB could all usefully be extended. Some of this is a matter of technique, and some of it is UI development.

However, development of these kinds is well beyond our capability at present. All of the tech work that we can support needs to go into maintaining the service, chasing bugs and reliability. As we expand our membership, thus revenue, thus work hours, development becomes possible. And Greenlight as a UI for handling video recordings might then be on a development agenda.

In principle where does this fit in to a longer term roadmap @wouter @dvdjaco @Yurko @osb ? What kind of ranking might developments in this area have?

PS: “Asynchronous continued participation” is one of the main things that I personally feel needs to be developed as a practice. For example, this Forum is part of the 'hidden product" in meet.coop, still much under used. Here’s some personal thinking about toolsets for organisers, as a lineup in federated wiki learnstack

1 Like

PPS Concerning event setup and follow-through . . we did experiment for a while (a year ago) with Mobilizon, to organise events in our commons.hour series. But it seemed a little flaky in places, and the functions don’t extend as far as your spec would want to - for example, compiling listings, and continued asynch interaction. Or at least, it wasn’t obvious, how such things might be done - the interface is not 100% transparent and our time for a learning curve was limited.

What decided us was: YAI (yet another interface) to be learned - by us as organisers and our members as users. So we reverted to this forum for organising commons.hour and its follow-through. It works even if it’s not elegant, it’s a familiar format (son-of-bulletin-board) and it’s part of the basic tool architecture of this organisation.

The commons.hour event format here in Discourse comprises:

• An session announcement eg Sign-up - commons.hour session#6
    No automatic mailing or notification, no ‘subscription’ to the category - manual notifications through multiple channels.
  • A discussion thread including links to the recording (both formats), public chat, shared notes and any ‘take home points’ from the organisers. Eg Session#6 discussion
  • A summary page of all events in the series Commons.hour - Overview

All of this, pretty manual :roll_eyes:

1 Like

thanks for the feedback and very good suggestions, @illuminagent !

for now we’ll have to work with what we have, but if/when we have funding for enhancing our cooperative service offering.

As Mike suggests above, Mobilizon would be interesting to create events in a social networked fashion on the ActivityPub decentralised protocol. So it’s automatically part of the Fediverse.
Add to that a PeerTube server to store, share and stream videos, also in ActivityPub.
And discussion could be on any of the Fediverse servers, like social.coop or any other Mastodon server, using that ActivityPub protocol. We actually did run some Live Streaming from dedicated meet.coop servers for Cities for Change from Amsterdam City last year. Then we were sending those streams to Vimeo. But it could as well be sent to PeerTube. That would be quite a dream scenario, right, doing all that in a decentralised social network fashion?

In any case, some would need to work on the funding of such project before we could go down that road. If you know of opportunities and/or would be willing to help, let us know :slight_smile:

To reply some of your more immediate concerns:

So far, after two years of running the meet.coop service, storage of recordings hasn’t yet become an issue to worry about for the short term. It maybe that at some point we’ll need to devise a strategy to handle the storage, share load with other video/media platforms or start to put certain limits or price extra space. But it is not yet on our agenda.

That sounds like an incident. Can you send us the details, here or if you prefer to contact @ meet . coop?

1 Like

Hi, @mikemh and @wouter, thank you both for the replies. I understand that my vision (and the larger vision) of an integrated, efficient, AND beautiful, distributed (and localizable) cooperative communications and collaborative infrastructure will not be achievable immediately, but it seems to me many of the pieces that could be stitched together to do so already exist, as you’ve also noted (and documented in those wikis), so I am hopeful for the dream scenario.

I would love to help bring awareness to and raise some money for that kind of work, but it will take some time to create our own momentum (as more of a cultural movement) before Cosmos will be of great use. That said, though small (which is beautiful), I believe we are well on our way. Right now, it is nice to have an ethical alternative to Zoom. But we do need to be able to download those mp4 files.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.33.19 PM

Using the latest Firefox on a Mac, when I click on the Download links above, I get the following screen:

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.36.02 PM

I am also able to right-click the button and download the mp4 file directly, however, when I play that file the screen is black (although audio works). This happens with both of the meetings we’ve conducted. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi @illuminagent I have tested on Firefox and Chromium and those videos plays fine. I wonder does it works now for you?

It could be that the backend was still encoding the files which would cause that error.

Hi @elon. Not really. What occurs is inconsistent. Testing Firefox on Ubuntu resulted in a video feed—but only for the presentation, which most of the time is the default Big Blue Button slide. When a presenter shares their screen, this takes over. The participants’ own video feeds (either as gallery or speaker view) do not appear.

Testing on Safari, Mac, clicking download results in the video loading in a new tab (no “corrupt file” message), where audio plays… but the screen itself is black.

Maybe there is an issue with the transcoding?

I doubt that since the recordings are from May 3 and May 10.

Hi @illuminagent I did some digging and see that MacOS does not like the encoding from BigBlueButton. I will have to look at why that is.

The downloadable video does not contain the webcam feeds and only have the presentation area exported.